Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Obama's NPR Cocktail Party

It seems logical that if I were to host a cocktail party, my boss would attend. Right?

So news that Obama attended a cocktail party at the home of a journalist employed by NPR shouldn't be a big surprise right? After all, NPR stations received nearly $70 million in the 2013 budget.

Except that the host in question is one of the national "stars" of NPR, Michelle Norris. (Or, you might make fun of the way she says her name, "me-shell" like I do).
Me-shell Norris.
Turns out Norris' husband is a lobbyist. Shocking.

Ready for the real kicker? 

Norris' husband worked on the Obama 2012 re-election campaign.

So yes, let's allow Norris to continue working as a "journalist" for what is at least a partially tax-payer funded salary, sleeping with a guy who has skin in the game for the highest office our country offers.

It's sad to me. I don't hate NPR with all my heart like many Republicans. They do a good job in terms of storytelling, production, and overall presentability. Typically, you get both sides of a story from NPR and especially while driving I've enjoyed some of their content. However, when one of your primarily personalities has ties this close to a partisan office, it's probably time to re-examine where your values lie as an organization. Especially a "news gathering" organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment